Saint Christopher Parish was organized in 1922, when the city of Rocky River was mostly farmland, in anticipation of population growth west of the Cuyahoga River. Saint Christopher School opened in September 1926 with two classrooms attached to the church building and staffed by three sisters of the Humility of Mary, initially welcoming students in grades one through four. Three years later, the parish added two more classrooms and doubled its teaching staff. The first eighth grade class graduated in 1934. The parish orginally served Rocky River, Bay Village and Westlake until new parishes were formed in the latter two communities by the 1940s.